Difficulty level: Beginner
Time required: 45 minutes
Age range: 12 and up
Things to do:
- Connect the large pompom maker, then open both sides of the circle. Begin wrapping one color of yarn around half of the pompom maker, wrapping until the pompom maker is full but can still fit inside the pompom maker. Close the wrapped half circle inside.
- Wrap the yarn around the opposite side of the pompom maker, making the thickness on both sides of the pompom maker as even as possible. Close the second half of the pompom maker, then trim the yarn.
- Using scissors, cut the loops on both sides of the pompom maker.
- Cut a length of yarn that’s about 6-8″ long, then tightly tie the length in a double knot around the pompom.
- Pull the pompom maker apart and remove the pompom.
- Trim the tails evenly with the rest of the pompom, then trim any other uneven pompom edges.
- Repeat steps 1-6 to create two more pompoms: a medium size and a small size.
- Cut two 6″-long pieces of yarn and set them aside. Begin making tassels by wrapping yarn around the 4″ piece of cardboard. Wrap the yarn until the tassel is quite thick. Using one of the 6″-long pieces of yarn, slide the yarn under the tassel strands and secure at the top.
- Remove the tassel from the cardboard and trim the end. Wrap the second 6″-long strand around the tassel about 1″ from the top tie.
- Using scissors, cut the loops at the bottom of the tie, then trim the top tie about 1/2 ” from the knot, hiding the tails inside the tassel.
- Trim the tassel so that the ends are even.
- Cut a length of cotton twine 26″ long. Using the tapestry needle, slide the twine through the top tie of the tassel, then knot the twine.
- Pull the loose end of the knot inside the tassel to hide it. You can use the tapestry needle for this step, if you’d like.
- Tie a knot 4″ from the top of the tassel.
- Thread the cotton twine through the tapestry needle, then slide the needle through the center of the small-size pompom. Slide the pompom down next to the knot.
- Repeat steps 14-15 two more times to add the medium and large pompom.
- Knot the end of the twine close to the top of the largest pompom to create a loop. This loop should be large enough to fit around the door knob. Thread the loose tail through the tapestry needle, then slide it through the center of the pompom to hide it.
- Trim the excess twine to hide the end.