Difficulty level: Beginner
Time required: 20 minutes
Age range: 5 and up, with some adult assistance required for younger children
Things to do:
- Protect your work surface, then paint the toilet paper roll with two coats of acrylic paint.
- While the toilet paper roll dries, cut eight 10″-long strands of yarn.
- Create a triangle hat by first measuring the distance across the center of the toilet paper roll, adding about 1″. Using a pencil, draw a straight line across the cardstock that is the length of that measurement.
- Next make a mark at the top center of the triangle about 2″ from the bottom.
- Draw a line that’s 3/4 ” high from the bottom of the triangle up. [squid-5]
- Draw a diagonal line that connects the top of the 3/4 ” line and the center top of the triangle.
- Repeat the diagonal line on the other side of the triangle.
- Cut out the triangle.
- When the paint is dry, cut two slits into the toilet paper roll straight across from each other.
- Insert the triangle by pushing it into the slits. If your triangle wiggles out, you can add an optional dot of glue on each side to hold it in place.
- Punch a hole at the bottom of the toilet paper roll, about 1/4 ” from the bottom. You can use a hole punch, or you can use a needle or other sharp tool. Insert the yarn through the hole halfway. Note that if you used a hole punch, you can probably slide the yarn through the hole without any problems.
- Tie the yarn in a double knot at the bottom of the toilet paper roll.
- Repeat steps 11 and 12 around the bottom of the toilet paper roll, spacing eight holes evenly. If you’d like you can add more or less holes.
- Add two sticky googly eyes to the toilet paper roll, centering them with the triangle top as best you can.