Easily create a felt leaf vest from an old t-shirt and felt. Perfect for dressing up as Branch from the movie Trolls. Great for your child’s costume trunk or Halloween!
Difficulty level: Intermediate
Time required: 60+ Mins
Age range: 12+
Things to do:
1. If you are starting from a typical t-shirt style t-shirt, and not a tank, carefully remove the sleeves at the seam.
2. Next, to create the look of a vest, cut a straight line up the very center of your t-shirt (only on the front portion) to the very top.
3. Create your leaves. For easy and fast creation, cut more cylinder shaped leaves. Use one to create a pattern and cut out the rest from this pattern. The amount of leaves you will use, will depend on the size of your shirt. We used around 18 for this size 4t t-shirt (only covering the front portion in leaves).
4. Attach your leaves using hot glue. We overlapped and ruffled the tops of the leaves to give them a more realistic look. Simply cover the front side of your vest in your leaves, arranging them how you see fit, making sure to cover all of the t-shirt bits visible.
5. Whether you cover the back portion of your vest is up to you, however, it is extremely simple, and can be accomplished by taking sheets of your green felt and gluing them to your fabric using your hot glue, and overlapping onto the inside of your vest-see photos for examples.