Forget the Christmas cookies – Use your cookie cutters to make clay ornaments this year! These ornaments are simple and fun for any age and look lovely hanging on a Christmas tree.
Difficulty level: Beginner
Time to complete: 1 hour
Age range: 6 and up *younger ages need assistance
Things to do:
1. Work clay in your hands until it’s soft and warm. Roll it out on a piece of parchment paper until it’s 1/4 ” thick. Be sure your hands and rolling pin are clean before working with the clay.
2. Use your cookie cutter to cut out your ornament shapes.
3. Use a dowel of the end of a paint brush to make indents in the tree shape. These will be your ornaments.
4. Push a hole through the top of the tree. This will be your ornament hanger.
5. If there are any rough edges on your ornament, trim them off with a knife.
6. Bake the ornament at 275 degrees for 45 minutes.
7. When the ornament has cooled, paint in the indents and the edge of the tree with gold paint.
8. Spray clear glaze on the ornament and let it dry.
9. Thread a piece of ribbon through the hold at the top and knot the ends to create a hanger.