Feeling inspired by nautical decor? These Turk Knot Coasters are the perfect project for you! Try your hand at weaving to create lovely coasters, using only rope and a little glue!
Difficulty level: Intermediate
Time to complete: 1 hour
Age range: 12 and up
Things to do:
1. Lay a coaster on your piece of cardboard and trace along the outside edge.
2. Push 5 pushpins in along the perimeter of the outline. The pushpins should be in the shape of a star.
3. Cut a 6 1/2 foot piece of rope.
4. Now we’re ready to start knotting! First, we’re going to create the initial pattern. Lay the end of your rope 1 inch away from the bottom left pushpin and loop it around the top pushpin.
5. Next, pull the rope down around the bottom left pushpin and up around the top left pushpin.
6. Pull the rope across to the top right pushpin, laying it over all of your other pieces of rope. Swing down around the bottom right pushpin.
7. Pull the rope up to the top left pushpin and back down to the bottom right, pulling it under all other pieces of rope. The finished pattern should have five “points.”
8. When you have your initial pass or pattern complete, simply repeat the steps until you run out of rope.
9. Use hot glue to secure the end of the rope in place. If your rope doesn’t want to stay in place, reinforce your pattern with hot glue.