Learning to make hair bows can be fun hobby, and is a great way to complete and customize outfits. You can make hair bows to match clothing, and suit special occasions. You could even make hair bows to match for sisters, cousins, friends, and teammates. You can use ribbon or fabric to make hair bows, and add any embellishments you like.
The directions below create a basic bow. once you have the technique down you can make hair bows to suit your needs.
Things to do:
1. Measure and cut a length of ribbon about 24″ long.
2. Loop about 4″ of the ribbon down, leaving the rest as a tail in the front. Bring the tail up and behind while holding the first loop, then lay it down to make a second loop.
3. Bring the tail up again, so that you have two loops and a cut end of ribbon sticking out on each end. Use your fingers to pinch across the middle and form neat folds. You may also want to consider using an alligator clip to hold the formed loops in place. This will help in the next step as you tie the wire or thread around the ribbon.
4. Wrap the craft wire, or thread around the center to secure the loops, keeping the folds tight. Pull and position the loops to make them even. Cut the free ends to be even as well, and then seal them with the lighter or fray check.
5. Use wire to secure the bow to the barrette.
6. Cut another piece of ribbon about 8″ long and tie a neat knot in the center. Using the hot glue gun or fabric glue, put a small spot of glue in the center of the front of the bow. Place the knot onto the glue. Wrap one end of the knotted ribbon around to the back. Glue it down to the barrette and trim.
7. Repeat with the other end of the knotted ribbon. Heat seal these cut ends, and you are finished!
You can make hair bows from strips of fabric to match a special outfit, and top with a matching button. You may also want to stack several bows on top of one another before finishing off for an extra special look. Consider using themed buttons, or a button-maker kit to create custom bows for different events or holidays.
You will need to select ribbon that will hold its shape well for this project. Grosgrain ribbon is one of the best kinds to use, and it is available in different widths.
You will also need to choose the kind of clip to use. There are alligator clips, barrettes and even combs which are available in different sizes.
Choose supplies based on hair type and the size of the bow you want to make. You may have to experiment to determine which kinds and sizes you like best.
Very small (under 2″) bows are not acceptable for small children, as they could pose a choking hazard.
You will also need a heat sealing method. The cut ends of ribbon need to be sealed to prevent fraying. There are three different ways of doing this. You can use Fray Check, heat the ends with a match or lighter, or heat the ends with a wood burning tool. The heat melts the ends of the ribbon so that they will not ravel. Use extra care when using the heat sealing methods so that you do not burn the ribbon or yourself!