In my house, cinnamon dough ornaments are an every winter tradition. Just the smell alone when they are baking is worth making them but they also look great on a tree and keep your house smelling wonderful. Even better than cinnamon ornaments? Glittered cinnamon ornaments! They sparkly babies are as Christmasy as it gets! Be sure the ornaments are totally dry before adding the Mod Podge and glitter for best results!
Difficulty level: Easy
Time required: 30 minutes, plus baking and dry time
Things to do:
1. In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup each of applesauce and cinnamon plus 2 tablespoons of white glue. Stir until a slightly damp dough forms. If the dough is too dry, add more applesauce, not glue. If the dough is too wet, sprinkle on more cinnamon, a little at a time.
2. Knead the dough on a cinnamon sprinkled surface for a minute until it’s nice and smooth and then roll out to about 1/3 of an inch.
3. Cut out shapes and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Poke holes near the top
4. Bake at your oven’s lowest setting for 2 hours, flipping the ornaments halfway through, or leave to dry in a sunny spot for a few days.
5. Once the ornaments are dry and cool, paint a thin coat of Mod Podge onto the top and sprinkle generously with glitter.
6. When the glue is dry, tap off the extra glitter and thread string or ribbon through the hole to hang.