Make an adorable tulle tutu. perfect for dress-up, costume, or a special occasion. What little girl doesn’t like to play princess for a day?! These lovely tulle tutus would also be super cute for a flower girl in an upcoming wedding! This technique allows you to quickly create an adorable tulle tutu for your favorite person or pet, using a few simple supplies. Be careful. tulle tutus are addictive! You may find yourself with one in every color!
Things you need (Makes 1 tutu for a baby, child, or pet):
2 Spools of Tulle Netting in your favorite color
1″ thick Waistband (non curling) Elastic
Needle and Thread or Sewing Machine
Things to do:
1. Measure the waist of the person (or beloved pet) who will be wearing the tutu. Add one inch to this measurement.
2. Cut a piece of elastic to match this measurement.
3. Overlap the ends of the elastic, forming a waistband, and sew to secure. You can do this by hand or machine. Instead of using elastic for the waistline, you can tie the strips around a long piece of ribbon and then use the ends to tie it up and make a bow. What girl doesn’t love to be even more of a princess with ribbons?
4. Decide how long you want your tutu to be. 12″ is a good length for small children. Crawling babies and pets may need shorter lengths. about 8″ would work.
5. Double the length measurement you want. so if you want 12″ in finished length, you will need to cut 24″ strips of tulle.
6. Use scissors to cut strips of tulle from the roll in your desired length.
7. Use a lark’s head knot* to attach each strip to the tulle tutu. Place strips all the way around the waistband. The more strips you use, the fuller your tutu will be. Your tulle tutu is finished and ready to wear when you are happy with the look
Don’t limit yourself to a single color. you can use multiple colors to create a unique tutu for any occasion.
Decorate the waistband of your tulle tutu with silk flowers or pretty ribbon for a fresh new look.
*Larks Head Knot: This is a very easy knot to make. chance are, you already know how to make one, but didn’t know the name of it!
1. Fold the strip of tulle in half, forming a loop at the top, and letting the ends dangle.
2. Place the loop behind the elastic waistband, and pass the tulle ends through the loop.
3. Pull the ends to secure.