Difficulty level: Beginner
Time required: 20 minutes
Age range: 12 and up, with optional adult supervision for glue gun
Things to do:
1. Use a length of cord to measure the circumference of your head. (This band is designed to be worn like a crown, but you can also wear it like a headband.) Cut three lengths of suede cord that are each about 18″ longer than your head circumference.
2. Hold the three lengths of suede together, then tie a knot about 6″ from the top of one end.
3. Braid the suede lengths until there are 6″ of suede remaining, trying to lay the suede flat as you go to avoid twisting the braid.
Tip: You can tape the edge of the suede to a table to give it some stability as you braid.
4. Tie a knot at the end of the braid.
5. Using wire cutters, cut four blue flowers from the spray, cutting about 1/2 ” from the flower.
6. Pull three pink flowers from the spray, simply popping the flowers from the stem with your fingers.
7. Push a flower about halfway into the center of the braid.
8. Place a dab of hot glue onto the suede. Push the flower in to secure it.
9. Continue gluing flowers to the suede. We glued a pink flower in the center, then flanked it with a pink-blue pair and a blue flower on each side. You can glue the flowers individually or place them in pairs. Add as few or as many as you’d like. As you glue, be sure you’re not twisting the braid so that all the flowers are attached to the same side of the braid.
10. When the hot glue is dry, bend the wires on the blue flowers to the side so that they will not poke your head.
11. To secure the band around your head, tie it in a knot.