Difficulty level: Beginner
Time required: 10 minutes for each pompom
Age range: 8 and up
Things to do:
1. Grab the pompom maker. If the two pompom maker pieces are not already connected, go ahead and connect them.
2. We’ll be wrapping three sections of yarn on each half circle as follows: Using the first color of yarn, begin wrapping the yarn around the first third of the half circle. Wrap the first color until you have a nice thickness.
3. Place the first color of yarn to the side, but do not cut it. Begin wrapping the second color of yarn around the center third of the circle. Wrap the second color until you have a thickness that matches the first color.
4. Cut the yarn, cutting it so the tail is even with the top of the half circle.
5. Pick up the first color of yarn again. Begin wrapping the first color of yarn around the last third of the half circle, beginning the wrap right beside the second color.
6. Wrap until its thickness is consistent with the other two sections.
7. Trim the yarn, cutting it as close to the top of the half circle as possible.
8. Close the first half circle inside the pompom maker.
9. Move to the other half circle, then repeat steps 2-7 to wrap the second half circle, trying to wrap it as identical to the first half circle as possible. Close the second half circle, then cut the yarn tail close to the pompom maker.
10. Holding the pompom maker’s half circle edges in place, use scissors to cut the pompom loops in half on one side of the pompom maker.
11. Repeat on the opposite side of the pompom maker.
12. Using either yarn color, cut a long strand of yarn about 8″ long. Wrap the strand around the pompom maker. Pull tightly to make sure the strand goes all the way between the two pompom maker pieces. Tie a double knot to secure the pompom.
13. Pull the half circles away from the pompom on both sides.
14. Pull the pompom maker apart in the center to release the pompom.
15. Give your pompom a haircut, trimming around it to make the edges even.