Make a whimsical felt banner to decorate your craft room or add to your child’s fantasy-themed bedroom. Experiment with a rainbow of colors for even more fun options!
Difficulty level: Intermediate
Time required: 2 hours
Age range: 8+
Things to do:
1. Using a quilter’s ruler and a rotary cutter, cut the bottom of a sheet of white felt into a 90 degree point. Repeat for a second sheet of felt. (I used a full sheet of felt but you can modify this to any size banner. The unicorn will fit many sizes of banners.)
2. Glue the unicorn head and the words in place on the banner. The unicorn head is designed to line up perfectly in the corner created when using the quilter’s ruler. If you cut a different shape/angle, add the unicorn head and just trim the edges to match your banner shape.
3. Glue on the mane and horn.
4. Apply a line of glue across one side of a dowel, only the width of the banner. Press the dowel down onto the plain banner piece, about an inch from the top (not the piece decorated with the unicorn.)
5. Apply a line of glue to the top of the piece of felt, just above the dowel. Line up the unicorn banner piece with the plain piece, along the top edge, and press firmly until the glue hardens. The dowel should be between the two banner pieces.
6. Apply glue along the remaining three sides of the plain banner piece, line up the remaining sides of the unicorn piece, and press firmly in place.
7. Cut a piece of bakers twine for hanging and tie each end of the bakers twine around either end of the dowel.