Things you need:
1 – 10″ Styrofoam Disk
1 – 8″ Styrofoam Disk
1 – 3″ Styrofoam Egg
1 – 8″ Styrofoam Wreath
1 – 9″ x 4″ Styrofoam Cone
6yd Hank – White Loopy Chenille
1yd Hank – Blue or Pink (Or color of your choice) Loopy Chenille
2 – 1/4″ Wood Dowel Rods
1 – Gold Felt Square
1 – Black Felt Top Hat
1 – 4″ Teddy Bear
2 – 25mm Googly Eyes
1 – 3-1/2″ Doll Glasses
White Netting Tulle Spool
Floral U Pins
Hot Glue Gun
Hot Glue Sticks
Ribbon and Flowers as Desired
Things to do:
1. Take your styrofoam wreath, measure and mark 5-1/2″. Then cut the piece for the stock’s neck.
2. To make your stork’s body, round the sharp edge of the cone base by rolling and pressing the end along the table.
3. To connect the stock’s body with the neck, cut out a 1″ piece of the cone at the base so that the neck fits into the body. Be sure that the rounded part of the neck is flush with the base of the cone. Adjust the neck so that it is turned at a slight angle and secure with hot glue.
4. Take the styrofoam egg and push the large end onto the neck at a slight downward angle. Glue the styrofoam egg in place.
5. Cut a 7-1/2″ strip of white loopy chenille and wrap lengthwise around the egg from the back of the neck around the middle of the styrofoam egg and under the chin of the stork. Glue in place with hot glue.
6. Cut two – 13″ strips of white loopy chenille and wind each strip into two spirals. Glue each loopy chenille spiral onto each side of the head.
7. Wrap the white loopy chenille around the styrofoam cone beginning at the point and ending at the base. Secure the white loopy chenille with hot glue and floral pins.
8. Cut one – 17″ strip of white loopy chenille and wind into a spiral. Glue the white loopy chenille spiral onto the chest of the stork.
9. Cut one – 6″ strip of white loopy chenille and bend in half. Glue the loopy chenille piece onto the pointed end of the styrofoam cone, covering the tip for the stork’s tail.
10. Cut a 28″ strip of white loopy chenille and wrap it around the neck starting from the cone, wrapping the loopy chenille up to the start of the styrofoam egg. Secure the loopy chenille with glue and floral pins.
11. Cut one – 5″ by 2″ triangle from the poster board for the top of the bill and one – 5″ by 1-1/2″ triangle for the bottom of the bill. Wrap the poster board triangles in the gold felt. Be sure to cut the felt so that the edges are flush with the center of the bill. Glue and pin them together with floral pin to the bottom of the head.
12. Cut two – 13″ strips of white loopy chenille to make the wings. Coil each loopy chenille strip into a circle. Glue and pin each coil onto each side of the body right below the stork’s neck.
13. Cut two – 20″ strips of white loopy chenille to make the feathers. Fold each loopy chenille strip accordion style into a 4″ feather, a 3″ feather, and a 2″ feather. Secure the wings onto each side of the body, under the edge of the loopy chenille coils and pointing to the back of the body towards the tail, with glue and floral pins.
14. Cut two – 20″ strips of blue loopy chenille (we used blue on our stork but you could also do pink or another color of your choice) and repeat the process in step 13 to make another set of wings. Place each blue loopy chenille wing on each side of the stork’s body, just under the first set of feathers. Secure with glue and floral pins.
15. To make the stork’s legs, cut two – 9″ pieces from the dowels rods. Cut two – 9″ by 1-1/4″ strips of gold felt. Wrap and glue the felt around the two wood dowel rods. Push one end of the dowels into the body of the stork about 3″ back from the front of the chest and 1-1/2″ apart from each other. Push the remaining ends of the dowels into the 8″ styrofoam disk. Secure each end of the dowel rods with hot glue.
16. Center and glue the 8″ styrofoam disk on top of the 10″ styrofoam disk. Glue on the googly eyes and place the glasses onto the stork so that they rest on the bill. Secure the glasses with glue.
17. Finally, glue on the black felt top hat. Cut a 6″ by 14″ piece of tulle. Fold the tulle in half and tie in a knot. Slip the teddy bear inside and glue the tulle to the storks bill. Add and glue on desired ribbons and flowers.