I have a secret. I love all things mini. I can’t help it, I’ve always been that way. So whenever I find little tins in the line at my local market, I can’t help buying them. And once they are empty, I find all sorts of uses for them. I keep an on the go knitting kit in my bag in one (foldable scissors, stitch markers, yarn needle and measuring tape) and another with crayons and a small notepad for those moments when my daughter needs something to do desperately. The newest addition is my favorite because not only did I need a little first aid tin in my bag, I got to give the tin itself a makeover!
Things you’ll need:
Small tin with flip top or removable lid (this was a chocolate nibs tin from Trader Joes)
Red spray paint
Matte White spray paint
Painters tape or contact paper
Things to do:
1. Give your tin a good scrub down with hot soapy water to remove any residue; this will help the paint adhere.
2. Open the lid and flip the tin open end down in the box. Spray the entire thing with three thin coats of red spray paint. Allow the paint to harden thoroughly.
3. Using the painter tape or contact paper, cover the lid well.
4. Cut a small plus (+) sign out of the contact paper and place it in the very center of the front of the box. Smooth down well.
5. Close the box and lay, plus side up, in the box. Spray with two thin coats of white paint or until the red is well covered. Allow the paint to dry and then turn and re-spray to coat the back and sides of the tin.
6. Allow the paint to harden and then peel off the masked areas to reveal the red. Fill with Band-Aids, small packets of first aid cream and a pair of tweezers and you are good to go!