With summer patriotic holidays on their way soon, dress up your little one with this adorable firecracker barrette. You can embellish it with different buttons or use a variety of patriotic ribbons for added appeal!
Difficulty level: Easy
Time required: 20 minutes
Age range: 10+
Things you’ll need:
1 1/2″ wide satin or grosgrain ribbon
1/4 or 3/8″ grosgrain ribbon
Wood burning tool
Hot glue gun
Hot glue sticks
Piece of glass from a photo frame
Things to do:
1. Warm up the wood burning tool. Cut the red ribbon to 2 1/2″ long. You can use scissors or the tool, which will cut and seal the ends at the same time.
2. Cut two pieces of the yellow ribbon to 2″ long.
3. Carefully use the wood burning tool to cut each yellow piece in half width-wise. Warm up your hot glue gun.
4. Roll the red ribbon the long way and glue in place, forming a tube.
5. Hot glue one of the yellow ribbons inside the tube as shown.
6. Repeat with the other pieces of yellow ribbon.
7. Hot glue another piece of yellow ribbon, cut to the length of the barrette, to the top of the barrette.
8. Glue the firecracker to the barrette.
9. If desired, hot glue a button to the center of the firecracker.