Sew a set of these quilted spring trivets before your next party! You’ll use a method called “strip piecing” as you sew these up.
Difficulty level: Intermediate
Time to complete: 1 hour
Age range: 12+
Things to do:
1. Cut 1 square from each of the dish towels so that the squares are about 2″ taller and wider than your circle.
2. Cut these into 1 1/2 ” wide strips.
3. Pin a strip of each color right sides together along one edge.
4. Sew down the side, using a 1/4 ” seam allowance.
5. Add strips together as shown, then sew these two squares together along one side to make one piece of fabric with alternating strips.
6. Trace a circle on one piece of fabric and cut it out.
7. Trace a circle out of the fabric you made with alternating strips.
8. Place the circles right sides together and sew with a 1/4 ” seam allowance, leaving a 1-2″ opening so you can turn it right-side out.
9. Turn the opening to the inside and stitch all the way around the circle to close it while topstitching.