Time required: 45 minutes
Difficulty level: Intermediate
Age range: 12 and up
Things to do:
- Cut a length of twine that’s 21″ long. Overlap the ends by about 1″.
- Using a hot glue gun, glue the two ends of twine together so that the twine forms a circle.
- Fold the twine so that it forms one long line of doubled twine with loops on each end and the glued overlap in the center. Cut a length of embroidery floss that’s about 24″ long. Knot the floss around the doubled twine about 1 1/2 ” from the end of the twine.
- Begin wrapping the floss around the doubled twine, wrapping as evenly as possible and placing the wraps close together so that the twine is not visible. Wrap until 1-2″ of floss remains.
- Knot the floss around the doubled twine to secure it.
- Cut a second 24″ long length of floss in a new color. Knot the floss around the doubled twine right next to the first color.
- Holding the extra lengths of floss to the side, being wrapping the second color, wrapping over the extra lengths to hide the ends.
- When you reach the glued center of the twine, wrap over it, pulling tightly to try and hide the bulky center.
- Continue to wrap and add new colors as needed until about 1 1/2 ” of doubled twine remains. Knot the last color of floss and trim it near the knot.
- Using a hot glue gun, add a dot of glue on the knot to secure it.
- Lay the necklace chain on a flat surface, doubling the chain with the clasp on one end. Find the center chain link on the end opposite the clasp.
- Using wire cutters, cut the center chain link to open the necklace chain.
- Using flat-nose jewelry pliers, open a jump ring by bending one end of the jump ring out to the side. Note that you do not want to simply pull the ring apart from the center; this will weaken the ring.
- Insert one end of the doubled twine inside the jump ring, then attach the jump ring to one broken end of the necklace chain. Use the pliers to bend the jump ring back together and secure everything.
- Repeat steps 13 and 14 on the opposite side of the broken chain. This will form a circle and complete the necklace.