As everyone is working on social distancing and some of you, even quarantined, this birdhouse from a milk carton is a great project to do with the kiddos as you finish your milk. You can make this all from items found around the house, let your imagination run wild!
Things you’ll need:
Milk carton (2 liter would work too!)
Xacto knife or scissors
String (shoe laces, rope, ribbon, etc.)
Hot glue gun and glue sticks *optional
Things to do:
1. Start by collecting sticks found in your backyard. These can be used to decorate the outside of the birdhouse or as a natural perch for your feathered friends.
2. Figure out the design for the cutouts in your carton. Be creative!
3. Decide if you wish to have a perch. If so, measure the perch in order to make a hole for placement and cut.
4. Insert stick perch. Depending on the length of your stick, it may need to be cut to size with adult supervision. Secure with glue, as needed.
5. Paint the carton, then let dry.
6. Decorate however you wish, stickers, buttons, etc. Have fun with it!
7. Cut a hole at the top of the carton and insert hanging string.
8. Fill with feed and hang for birds to enjoy.
– Daneen Doggett-Wolfe