You can stencil any lyrics you’d like on this canvas. If your lyrics are longer than three lines, though, you will need to measure and make sure there’s enough room for each line.
Difficulty level: Intermediate
Time required: 30 minutes active time, plus time for paint to dry between each letter
Age range: 12 and up
Things you’ll need:
Regency blue acrylic paint (for background)
Plum Kiss acrylic paint (for letters)
Stencil Font Letters (5″ tall)
Things to do:
1. Using a foam brush and the background acrylic paint color, apply two coats of paint to the stretched canvas. Be sure to apply paint on the sides of the canvas, too, since that will be visible. Allow the paint to dry.
2. Using a pencil and ruler, mark a faint line horizontally across the canvas 3 1/4 ” from the top. This will mark where your lyrics will begin. (Note that this may be different if your lyrics are more than three lines.)
3. Place the first stencil on the canvas, lining up the top of the stencil with the pencil mark. Place another pencil line to mark the bottom of the stencil, then place painter’s tape over the stencil edges to hold them in place.
4. Dip the stencil brush into the purple paint, making sure you don’t get too much paint on the brush.
5. Dab the paint onto the palette or a paper towel to remove excess paint.
6. Begin stenciling, pouncing the stencil brush up and down along the edges of the stencil. Dab quickly and lightly across the edges, aiming the brush toward the middle of the stencil as you dab. You may find it easiest to pounce around the edges, then use a regular paintbrush to paint the larger areas.
7. Allow the first coat to dry, then apply a second coat of paint. Allow the second coat to dry.
8. Carefully remove the stencil from the canvas.
Tip: If you see any spots that do not look neat, use a thin paintbrush to touch up your letter where needed.
9. Repeat steps 3-8 with the next letter.
10. Repeat steps 3-8 with the final letter of the line.
11. Line up the second line of the lyrics with the bottom pencil mark of the first line’s stencil, then tape in place with painter’s tape.
12. Repeat steps 3-8 to add each letter of the second line.
13. Tape the third and final stencil in place, lining up the bottom of the stencil with the line you marked in step 2.
14. Repeat steps 3-8 to add each letter of the third line.
15. Erase the pencil marks from the canvas.