Spring is in the air, and one of my favorite parts of spring is seeing flowering trees bloom. Bring this indoors with a flowering blossom tree made of pipe cleaners and pom poms. Your tree will certainly be a conversation piece!
Difficulty level: Intermediate
Time required: 1 hour
Age range: 10+
Things to do:
1. Fold a pipe cleaner almost in half, keeping it intentional uneven so that you’ll have branch variety later.
2. Twist the bottom at the fold, leaving about 1″ after the twist.
3. Bend this 90 degrees as shown.
4. Repeat for all the pipe cleaners.
5. Put all the pipe cleaners together, making sure the feet (roots”) are even at the bottom.
6. Twist these together, creating a trunk.
7. Divide the pipe cleaners slightly as shown.
8. Twist two or three pipe cleaners together, making a branch.
9. Leave some room at the top of each branch, then bend the pipe cleaners to look more like smaller branches.
10. Continue creating branches as shown.
11. This is what the tree will look like once complete. Warm up your hot glue gun.
12. Glue a small pink pom pom to one of the branches.
13. Complete the tree with several pom poms.
14. Cut a piece of card stock and glue the roots to it.
15. Cover with the sheet moss and trim the card stock. You can glue the moss in place if desired.