Difficulty level: Beginner
Time required: 1 hour
Age range: 12 and up
Things to do:
1. Place the cookie cutter on a sheet of felt. Using a marking tool, trace around the outside of the cookie cutter.
2. Using pinking shears, cut out the heart. (You can also just use scissors here for a straight-edged heart.)
3. Repeat steps 1-2 until you have a total of eight hearts.
4. Thread your sewing needle with a length of baker’s twine that’s about 23″ long. Tie a knot in the end, then thread the needle through one of the felt hearts.
5. Layer another heart on top, then begin sewing around the edge of the heart. Try to maintain the same distance from the stitches to the heart edge. Tip: If you are having problems getting the twine to go through the layers, you can split the twine in half to make it thinner.
6. Continue sewing around the heart until you reach about 2″ before the first stitch you made.
7. Using the toy stuffing, stuff the heart until it is full.
8. Press the edges of the heart together, then stitch the heart closed. Knot the twine on the inside of the heart to secure it, then trim the twine.
9. Cut another length of twine, then thread it through the center of the heart, knotting the end to secure it.
10. Repeat steps 4-9 for each heart. You should have a total of four hearts.
11. Tie each heart to the dowel, tying them at different lengths so that they don’t get tangled when you hang them.
12. Cut another 23″-long piece of twine, then tie the twine around each end of the dowel.