Use this woven ribbon heart as a barrette, a pin, or an embellishment on a Valentine’s Day card. It’s not a tricky project, but watch the placement of your ribbons to make sure you’re achieving the basket-weave effect.
Difficulty level: Intermediate
Time required: 30 minutes
Age range: 10+
Things you’ll need:
Two colors of 3/8″ ribbon
Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
Things to do:
1. Warm up your hot glue gun. From one of the ribbons, cut three pieces: a 4 1/2″ piece, a 4″ piece and a 3 1/2″ piece. Repeat for the second ribbon.
2. Layer the same-color ribbons on top of each other from largest to smallest. Glue them together on one short end only.
3. Repeat with the second group of ribbons.
4. Glue both sets together at a right angle on one edge, as shown.
5. Fold the smallest ribbon from the right side over to the left, and glue in place.
6. Loop the smallest ribbon from the left side over to the right. Slip it under the fold from the previous step, and glue in place.
7. Work from the right side again. Loop the second ribbon from the right to the left, weaving it under the loop from the previous step, and gluing in place.
8. Repeat Step 7, making sure to weave the ribbon under the top loop and over the second loop, as shown.
9. Working from the right side, weave the final ribbon under and over the previous ones on the left, and glue in place.
10. Finish the heart by weaving the final ribbon under, over, and under the previous ones. Glue in place. Add a barrette or a pinback to the back, or keep it plain to embellish a card or gift!