Difficulty level: Beginner
Time required: 45 minutes
Age range: 12 and up
Things to do:
- Connect a pompom maker, if it isn’t already connected, then open out both sides of the circle. Begin wrapping one color of yarn around half of the pompom maker.
- Wrap until the pompom maker is full but can still fit inside the pompom maker. Close the wrapped half circle inside.
- Wrap the yarn around the other side of the pompom maker, making the thickness on both sides of the pompom maker as even as possible. Close the second half of the pompom maker, then trim the yarn close to the top of the circle.
- Using scissors, cut the loops on both sides of the pompom maker.
- Cut a length of yarn that’s about 6-8″ long, then tightly tie the length in a double knot around the pompom.
- Pull the pompom maker apart and remove the pompom.
- Trim the tails evenly with the rest of the pompom, then trim any other uneven pompom edges.
- Repeat steps 1-7 to create as many pompoms as you’d like.
- Grab one of your floral stems. You can cut these from artificial flowers you already have. Insert the floral stem through the center of the pompom. If you tied your pompom tightly, the stem should fit snugly inside. However, if your pompom is moving around on the stem, you can hot glue it in place to make sure it’s secure.
- Repeat step 9 to add stems to each pompom, then add the pompoms to a vase or jar. If your pompoms are all standing at the same height, use scissors or wire cutters to trim them so that the pompoms stand at different heights.