Difficulty level: Intermediate
Time required: 30 minutes, plus 5 hours for drying paint
Age range: 8 and up
Things you’ll need:
Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Flat Black Spray Paint
Paint brush (stiff bristles work best)
Acrylic paints in blue, purple, pink, and white
Natural Sea Silk Sponge
Things to do:
1. Using the painter’s tape, tape the stem of the pumpkin until it is completely covered.
2. Using the black spray paint, paint the pumpkin, holding the spray paint about 6-8″ from the pumpkin. Allow the spray paint to dry for 1 hour.
3. When the paint is dry, spread a small amount of blue acrylic paint onto a palette. Dip the stiff paintbrush into the paint, then brush the paintbrush back and forth to remove some of the paint.
4. Using the paintbrush, paint large blue circles onto the pumpkin. For a galaxy-like look, try not to paint circles that are too solid in color; the stiff, dry brush will help with that.
5. Allow the paint to dry for 1 hour.
6. Repeat step 4, this time with purple paint, adding the purple paint on top of the blue paint in a few places. Do not cover the blue paint completely. Allow to dry for 1 hour.
7. Using the sponge, apply pink paint, adding the pink paint on top of the purple paint. You can also add pink paint on solid black parts of the pumpkin. This should look random, so use your creative judgement. Allow to dry for 1 hour.
8. Using an old toothbrush, tap gently onto the white paint. Hold the toothbrush near the pumpkin, then rub your finger across the bristles, sending tiny dots of paint onto the pumpkin.
9. Apply the white paint all over the pumpkin for a real outer space look. Allow the white paint to dry for 1 hour.
10. Remove the painter’s tape from the pumpkin stem.