If you’ve got kids, this wreath – dressed up as a snowman – is the perfect friendly face for your door. If you’d like a more serious” wreath, you can finish this without the hat and face, perhaps choosing to add ornaments or other traditional holiday embellishments as desired.
Difficulty level: Advanced
Time required: 1-2 hours
Age range: 10+
Things to do:
1. Wrap 1-2 pieces of pipe cleaner around each segment of the interior wire and the exterior wire. You can add or take away as needed when you start wrapping the mesh around the wreath.
2. This is what it will look like when you’re finished.
3. Unroll some of the mesh. About 3″-4″ from the end, gather a section and use a pipe cleaner on the interior wire to wrap it onto the interior wire.
4. Keep the mesh on the roll. Pull away about 12″ of mesh and gather it in your hand at the 12″ mark.
5. Make a loop or bend in the mesh, and wrap a pipe cleaner around the area that you gathered at the 12″ mark.
6. Continue around the wreath, pulling and looping 12″ segments and using the pipe cleaners to keep them in place.
7. This is what the inner wire looks like when you’ve completed looping the mesh and securing with pipe cleaners. Cut the mesh, leaving a tail of about 5″-6″.
8. Repeat the steps for the outer wire of the wreath.
9. Once you’ve completely wrapped the both the outer and inner wires of the wreath, tie the cut edges to the back of the wreath and keep in place with pipe cleaners, floral wire or zip ties. Trim the ends of the other pipe cleaners to keep your wreath looking neat.
10. Warm up your hot glue gun. Glue two pom poms for eyes, and a stack of 3 pom poms for a carrot nose.
11. The face is forming!
12. Cut a piece of brown felt in half lengthwise. Then form one of the pieces into a loop to make a hat shape, gluing in the back.
13. Cut a strip of red felt and glue to the hat. Fold the brim” upward.
14. Glue the hat to the top of the snowman.
15. Cut a smile from the remaining brown felt and glue to the snowman. To finish, create a loop of pipe cleaner at the top so you can hang this from your door!