Looking for the right touch to make your country interior look just a bit cozier? Try adding a few charming homespun fabric cushions to a comfortable chair, settee or sofa. This is a simple how-to for making a cushion cover with an overlapped back, suitable for an 18″ square pillow form insert. Homespun tea towels are a clever and convenient way to add rustic country color and pattern to any room.
Things you need: (for one cushion)
2 Homespun Fabric Tea Towels (19″ x 26″) Feel free to mix and match patterns and colors to make your finished cushion more eclectic looking. Towels with all-over patterns work best. (1)
1 – 18″ Square Pillow Form
Thread To Match
Things to do:
1. Trim the finished hems off the short ends of both towels, leaving the long edges untouched.
2. Trim one of the towels so that is measures 19″ square, so that you are left with one square piece and one rectangular piece.
3.On one end of the square piece, fold and sew a 1/2″ seam. Do the same on the rectangular piece.
4. Turn the pieces right side facing, lining up the unseamed edges on one end, and pin them together.
5. Sew a 1/2″ seam along the lined up edge of the two pieces.
6. Open both sections so that you have one long rectangle with the right side facing up. Fold the end of the longer section back on itself 6 1/2″ so that it becomes a 19″ square.
7. Take the smaller section and fold it back to overlap on top of the folded bottom section. The right side of the top section is facing down. Pin the top and bottom edges.
8. Sew a 1/2″ seam along the top and bottom pinned edges, leaving the edge where the longer section was folded over open.
9. Turn the cover right side out and use the turning tool to push the corners out to a point.
10. Insert the pillow form, adjusting it so that the cover fits properly and the overlap is straight in back.