There’s nothing like a real Valentine. You know, the kind that comes in the mail with a stamp and a real address. E cards are nice, but real mail is such a treat. Even better than a real paper valentine though is a real fabric one, something made with a little extra love for your sweetheart. This simple felt valentine’s envelope is just the thing to hold a message of love for your special someone.
Things to do:
1. Cut your felt into a 12 by 5 inch strip, using the scraps, cut a small heart and a just slightly bigger square of white felt.
2. Fold roughly in thirds so that one end is slightly shorter, trim that end to a point like a regular envelope.
3. Stitch fold lines and a faux triangle fold onto the felt using the white thread.
4. On what will be the front” of the envelope, stitch the heart and square on to create a stamp. This can be done with a zig zag stitch to mimic the stamps edge or you can sew the stamp” on using a wave stitch to mimic the cancellation mark on a letter.
5. Fold the bottom half of the envelope up and stitch along the edges to create a pocket, leave about a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
6. Trim the edges and the triangular top with pinking shears for a cute finish.
7. Attach a Velcro patch to the underside of the point of the flap and to the corresponding spot on the envelope so that it can be closed securely.
8. Slip in a note and close and hand it off to your Valentine!