These coasters make a great gift, combining sentimental and practical aspects. Another plus is that they are super fun and easy to make! You’ll love selecting the perfect paper to create a custom set of coasters for someone special. This is a excellent way to show someone how much you care about them.
Difficulty level: Intermediate
Time to complete: Two Hours
Age range: 13 and up
Things to do:
1. Cut a 3 1/2 inch square out of cork and attach it to the back of a travertine tile.
2. Lay your tile on top of the map and trace around it. Cut out the traced sections of map. This square should be 4 inches. Tear around the edges of the map, creating an organic look.
3. Apply a thin layer of mod podge on the travertine tile. Place the section of map on top of the mod podge and secure it in place. Use a pencil and roll along the surface of the map. This will remove any bubbles. Let the tile dry for 2 hours.
4. After the tile has completely dried, begin adding additional layers of mod podge. Wait 20 minutes between each top coat, sanding the surface upon drying.
5. Once you’ve finished five coats of mod podge, apply a sealing spray to ensure any standing water will not ruin the coasters.