Things you’ll need:
Basmati or other medium to long grain rice
Liquid food coloring
Zip close bags
Rubbing alcohol (surgical spirit)
Things to do:
1. Divide the rice up into baggies, here we used 3/4 cup rice per bag.
2. Fill the bags about half full of rubbing alcohol, enough to almost cover the rice.
3. Add food coloring, varying how much you put in each bag to achieve different colors (hint, you can get a darker red by adding a very small amount of blue, 1 drop blue to 8 drops red! Light blue is achieved with a few drops of blue and one of green!)
4. Zip close the bags, forcing out as much air as possible, and massage the colors around into the rice until you have an even color throughout the bag.
5. Allow the rice to sit for an hour then strain in a colander and dry on a paper towel lined cookie sheet or table.