Does your little one’s Halloween costume involve dressing as a chicken, parrot, or other bird? Or does he or she simply enjoy a trunk full of costume supplies? These bird feet are easy to make and are customizable for your own child or grandchild.
Difficulty level: Intermediate
Time required: 30 minutes
Age range: 10+
Things to do:
1. Use the child’s shoe to determine the size for the bird foot. The foot will start before the top of the shoe and drape down, but you don’t want the toes too long or else they’ll be a tripping hazard.
2. Measure your little one’s ankle. Use this measurement, plus about 3-4 inches, to draw a horizontal section on the piece of paper for the band that will go around the ankle. Attached below this section should be the bird foot, drawn in the shape you’d like. The band and the foot should be all one piece. Pin onto a piece of felt and trace, and repeat for the second piece of felt. Cut out both felt feet.
4. Cut out four pieces of hook-and-loop tape – two from one side and two from the other.
5. Measure your little one’s ankle and make sure the cuff will fit. Determine the proper placement for the hook and loop tape.
6. Either by hand or machine, sew one piece of tape to the outside of one side of the band.
7. Sew the other piece of hook and loop tape to the inside of the band on the other end, making sure it lines up to the piece on the first end. Repeat with the second bird foot.