Use a cookie cutter in a new way – for something you can keep forever! Make this perler bead cookie cutter ornament to hang or use as a toy. Your children will enjoy helping with this project – just make sure you help them when using the oven!
Difficulty level: Easy
Time required: 20 minutes
Age range: 8+ (provide supervision with the oven, however)
Things to do:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Coat the inside of the cookie cutter with the vegetable oil. Make sure the oil gets into in all the nooks and crannies and up to the top of the inside. This step is crucial – otherwise your beads will become stuck inside the cookie cutter.
2. Lay the aluminum foil or parchment on the cookie sheet and coat with oil as well.
3. Decide which beads you’ll use. You can place them inside the cutter as a pattern, but it’s easiest for kids to simply mix them up on a small plate for easy grabbing.
4. Place the beads in a single or double layer inside the cookie cutter, making sure you get the beads in all the crevices so the shape turns out looking the way you expect!
5. This is what the cutter looks like once it’s filled. There’s no need to fill it up the top – a single or double layer will do.
6. Place the cookie sheet with the filled cutter into the pre-heated oven. It takes only 5-8 minutes to melt the beads together. The top will have open holes, but the bottom will be mostly melted. Now string a piece of thread or wire through the top or give to your child as a stand-alone decoration or toy!