Summer is a great time to be less-than-formal when setting the table, but that doesn’t mean you need to ditch the placemats altogether. These burlap placemats are all about causal and fun and can be customized however you like. Try putting the names of your family members at each place setting or a simple image. Any shape you can cut out is fair game for these freezer paper stenciled placemat runners.
Things to do:
1. Begin by choosing what image you want on your table runners. Any shape large enough to cover the space will work. For this project, we printed out the worked eat!” at 400 pt. type in Times New Roman font.
2. Place a piece of freezer paper at least 3 inches larger all around than your image over the shape you want. Freezer paper is thin so you’ll be able to see dark images through it. Trace around the edges with a pencil and cut out carefully with scissors or a craft knife. Don’t forget to save the inside sections of letters like e” and a”! Repeat this for each place setting.
3. Cut your burlap into two strips, each 18″ wide and 12″ longer than your table is across. Leave the edges raw for a more rustic look or hem them for a more finished style.
4. With a dry iron, press the freezer paper stencils into place about 6″ from the bottom of the burlap, this allows for an overhang and centers the image under your place setting.
5. Lay the fabric out on a flat surface and place a sheet of typing paper under the fabric where the stencil is to catch paint that seeps through.
6. Using a dabbing motion, sponge the black paint onto the voids in the freezer paper. Try not to brush toward the edges of the stencil or paint may be forced outside the lines of the word or image.
7. Allow the paint to dry before peeling off the freezer paper. Set the paint with a low iron or according to the directions on the packaging.