If you want to add an intriguing twist to hemp jewelry designs, try your hand at tying Josephine knots. Mix and match them with square knots to create an elaborate focal point, or use this technique from beginning to end to make a hemp bracelet or necklace with a lacy weave.
To make a Josephine knot, begin with two strands of hemp twine.
1. Form one strand (A) into a loop with overlapping tails, and lay atop the other strand (B).
2. Take strand B up and over the lower tail of strand A, and then place under strand A’s upper tail.
3. Slip strand B down and over the loop of strand A.
4. Continue to move strand B down so that it crosses under itself. You are now forming a loop with strand B. At this point, you should be able to see the pretzel shape starting to form.
5. Bring strand B over strand A’s loop to form a loop inside a loop.
6. Pull both strands with even tension to tighten the knot.
For more striking Josephine knots, use four strands (two As and two Bs), or 6 (three As and 3 Bs) and mix-and-match colors. Once you learn the ropes, it’s a cinch to incorporate Josephine knots into your current hemp bracelet and necklace designs.
Photo Credit: Sol-Creations