1-800-252-5223 Mon-Fri, 9 AM - 5 PM ET Checkout All of Our Projects!
Ship ToUS
Factory Direct Craft Blog - Check out our various projects and how-to videos!
Subscribe to Factory Direct Craft Blog News FeedSubscribe to Factory Direct Craft Blog Comments

Paint Dipped Pinecones

Pin It

January 3, 2011 by Jessica Christman
Filed under For the Home, Winter Crafts

Paint Dipped Pinecones Paint Dipped Pinecones
Bring a little winter woodlands into your house during the pre and post holiday months with these pretty dipped pinecones. If the cones around you aren’t fully opened (open cones look best) dry them out in the oven on the lowest setting until they open completely.

Things you need:
Pinecones
1 quart white paint
Floral wire
Newspaper

Things to do:
1. Wrap a piece of floral wire around the top of the cone loosely. You’ll use this both for dipping and drying so you’ll want it either well hidden in the cone or easily removed. Curve the top of the wire so that it is easily wrapped around the hanger.
Paint Dipped Pinecones2 Paint Dipped Pinecones
2. Spread out the newsprint below a hanging surface. A closet hanging rod works well.
3. Shake the paint well and then open. Dip the pinecones slowly into the paint and suspend each over the can for a minute to let most of the excess drip off.
Paint Dipped Pinecones3 Paint Dipped Pinecones
Paint Dipped Pinecones4 Paint Dipped Pinecones
4. Hang over the newsprint to dry. Once the paint has hardened, slip or remove the wire before displaying.
Paint Dipped Pinecones5 Paint Dipped Pinecones

Comments

34 Responses to “Paint Dipped Pinecones”
  1. Melissa says:

Great project! Luv it!

2. anna says:

i just love it !! cant wait to dip paint all the pine cones ive been collecting !!!

3. Laurie says:

The pine cones looked great until they closed up after dipping them into the paint.

4. Linda says:

think you have yo put then in the oven on low to get them to open is what ive heard

• fdcsjess says:

You are exactly correct. Preheat your oven to no more than 200 degrees. Then place one layer of pinecones closely together (where they are barely touching) on an aluminum foil covered cookie sheet. The heat will cause your pinecones to open up. Just be sure to watch them carefully and turn them every once in a while to prevent them from burning.

5. stephanie says:

maybe just use white spraypaint? much faster…no globs or drips??

• Sandy Turner says:

The spray method doesnt cover as well as the dipping method. I have tried both and way prefer to dip mine. I also like to sprinkle them with sparkle. Really makes for a pretty display.

6. Debbie Cooper says:

Do you put them in the oven after dipping and dried or before?

• Jessica Christman says:

Hi Debbie! To get your pinecones to open up, you would put them in the oven first and then paint them once they are open. Hope this helps! Happy crafting :)

• BettyD says:

Hmmmmm…. when I first collected my pinecones, I put them in the oven at 200 degrees for about 40 minutes to prep them. Then I sprayed 2 coats of primer. At all times the cones were open.However, when I dipped them in latex paint, they closed up. So I am at a loss as to how to keep them open…All ideas will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

• danielle says:

I just made some my closed back up with the latex paint too. I also dipped some in oil baised polly. the ones in the polly did not close back up so I guess it needs to be done with oil baised paint.

• BettyD says:

Thank you-I will try the oil-based polyurethane paint. Happy holidays!

• Tigi says:

I had the same problem, but once the paint was dry, we put above a radiator and they opened up again.

• Eve says:

I just dipped our cones and they like yours closed. Will try the heat method after painting. These are for a wedding coming in Jan in TN so I have plenty of time to work this out. Im scared right not tho. Thanks for the info.

7. Debbie Cooper says:

I just noticed how old the entries were, hope someone is still out there to answer this question.

8. ann says:

you could also put sparkles on them silver or white. i bet when sitting in the sun on the table they will sparkle.

9. Jean says:

This sounds like a project Ill really enjoy. Thanks!

10. Cindy says:

I have tried this, but I smashed and crushed some cheap glass ornaments. Any color or multicolor is really pretty. Then just sprinkle onto the pinecones. They shine and glisten. Make some red and green for the holiday, and then make some with the white and silver or gold.

11. Michelle says:

To all of you very creative people, Help! Is there another way to color pine cones w/o using paint? I put pine cones back outside to decompose into new soil. Any ideas? Thank you!

• Lycinda says:

You could try making some home made glue,then sprinkling them with the colored sugar sprinkles, or use food coloring to color the glue. I did a google search on home made glue and there is one that uses only flour, water, sugar and vinegar. They should all be compostable.

12. rosemary says:

Every year I spray paint mine gold, and add gold glitter to them while wet. They are fabulous in a pot outside with fresh tree clippings!

• Hilda says:

Hi Rosemary!I have just been thinking that it will soon be time again to collect pinecones…thanks for the inspiration.

13. catie whitehead says:

When I was a kid, we did this with colored, scented wax as a gift for my grandmother. She would their one on the for place and it smelled so good.

14. Elizabeth wallace says:

Did this last night and they looked great still wet.Checked on them this morning and they had all closed up! Did I do something wrong?

• Jessica Christman says:

Pinecones have a tendency to close back up because of the moisture from the paint. Im not sure there is really anything you can do to avoid this reaction. You could possibly try spraying them with an acrylic spray, letting them dry then dip them into the paint. This just may do the trick, although I have not tried it myself yet. You could also just try lighting spray painting them instead of dipping them directly into paint for the a more open look. I hope this helps! Please let me know if the acrylic spray did the trick, if you go that route! Good luck with your next batch of pinecones :)

15. Merry B says:

How about sprinkling some glitter on parts of some of the cones ?

16. Helen says:

Hi,For the 2013 holidays, I painted pinecones gold and others with a high gloss lacquer I decorated some of them with Germany Glass Glitter. This is January/post Holiday season I would like to do something new with cones so I can continue to display cones for the winter. Has anyone tried painting designs on cones using either magic markers or paint pens? Also, does anyone know of any type of paint pen that leaves a raised or embossed finish? All ideas are welcome. Thank you!

17. Kaye says:

I save old candles and old crayons. Even friends give me their old ones. I melt the wax, add the color of the crayon I want my wax to be and dip the pine cones. They NEVER close. I often add a drop of scented oil like cinnamon when I put them in a basket for a gift. Some people use them in camp fires. Ive sprayed painted some silver and that worked fine for the look I was wanting to achieve.

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. Thanksgiving tablescape ideas « MY Styled Affair says:

[...] paint dipped pine cones [...]

2. My Thanksgiving Table, Final Product « MY Styled Affair says:

[...] used were pine cones I found on a walk. Some of the pine cones were dipped in white latex paint (see here) and the others were left as they were found.  I also made some tissue paper flowers to tie in [...]

3. Wreath, or, something from nothing | function and beauty says:

[...] is that I still have ALL of the plump, round pinecones left to use.  I’m thinking about dipping them in white paint and making – you guessed it – a garland. Oh, the irony. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike [...]

4. Last-Minute DIY Christmas Hacks | PurpleWig says:

[...] make awesome ornaments or look great clustered in a bowl. Full directions here. [...]

Share Your Thoughts

Tell us what you're thinking!

Change Your Country
Please select your country, this will change the site to your country's currency:

Shop