As a child, I was a huge fan of spool and finger knitting. I loved it. I created MILES of the ropey knitted material. Now that I have kids I’m passing on this hobby to them by making these easy DIY spool knitters. While these are pretty simple, you can dress the spools up by painting the craft sticks and/or the tube and by using Washi Tape over the masking tape for decoration. For more complex spool knitting, replace the four wide craft sticks with 5-8 narrow ones.
Difficulty level: Very easy
Time required: 10 minutes to 10 hours, depending on how much knitting you want to do!
Things to do:
1. Space the four craft sticks evenly around the tube.
2. Secure the craft sticks in two places with masking tape.
3. Once made, Wrap each stick with the yarn once, working around the spool. Once you’ve made it around, repeat so that each stick has two loops.
4. Pull the bottom loop up over the top of the top loop and the edge of the stick and into the center of the tube. Repeat with the bottom loops on the remaining sticks.
5. Loop the yarn around each stick again so that each has two loops. Repeat step 4.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until the desired length of knitting has been made. Cut the yarn and run it through the remaining loops to secure the end.