Create an adorable felt headdress, perfect for dramatic play as well as a fun addition to a costume chest!
Difficulty level: Intermediate
Time required: 30+ Mins
Age range: 8+
Things to do:
1. Create the base of your headdress using felt. It is not necessary to measure, though helpful in creating a customized fit for the wearer. We used a 6 inch strip of felt for a toddler sized head.
2. On each end of your base, attach either string, ribbon or elastic to the backside of your headdress using your hot glue. Using elastic works well for creating a one size fits one headdress, and is especially helpful if creating these for party favors. We used 11 inches of string on each side for our toddler sized headdress.
3. Draw out feathers on your felt. Perfection is not necessary, as feathers aren’t perfect!
4. Cut notches into each side of your feathers. It is helpful to fold your feather in half and cut your notches into both sides at once.
5. Hot glue a piece of pipe cleaner in the middle of each feather. Each pipe cleaner piece should be the length of your feather. Note: You can choose to keep your pipe cleaner forward facing when attaching to your base, depending on your preference.
6. Hot glue your feathers to the backside of our headdress. Press down firmly to assure the feathers hold sturdy to the base.
7. Embellish! Decorate the base of your headdress to your preference, cutting out and gluing different shapes of felt to give your headdress a little flair!